There are two ways to account for an activity on your Fitbit.com dashboard, automatically and manually.
- Automatically means that your tracker logs your activity as it happens, and then uploads the data to Fitbit.com when you sync. The following trackers support automatic activity tracking: Surge, Charge, Charge HR, Force, One, and Ultra. For instructions, see How do I log or record exercise automatically?
- Manually means that you use the dashboard to add information about an activity after it takes place. You can also edit and delete activities, and save them as favorites.
My tracker supports automatic tracking. Why would I want to use manual tracking?
For trackers that support heart rate monitoring, you would probably only want to use manual logging if you forgot to begin recording when you started your activity. These trackers take heart rate into account when calculating calories burned, so even if an activity doesn't count steps, you still get accurate calorie count information.
For other trackers, manually logging an activity works well for those activities where step count isn't the best indicator of the calories burned. If you are doing an activity that does not require steps (like cycling or using an elliptical machine), or an activity that requires more than just steps (like tennis or yoga), you can use an activity log to improve the accuracy of this activity's contribution to your caloric burn.
You can also use manual logging to add an activity if you leave your tracker at home.
Manually Logging an Activity
All steps and calories recorded by your tracker are overridden for the duration of a manually logged activity by the activity's entered values. This ensures that your steps are not counted twice as long as the manually logged activity has the correct start time and duration.
To create a manual activity record:
- Go to the Activities page by clicking Log at the top of your Dashboard, then Activities.
- Under Log Activities, click a common activity or search for your activity in the search box.
- Select your activity from the search results. If the activity is not in our system, you have the option to create your own activity by clicking the Create custom activity text that will appear below the search field.
- Enter the duration, distance (if applicable), and start time of your activity. You have the option to manually enter the number of calories burned here if you'd like to.
- Click Log Activity. Your activity will now be visible and editable in the Logged Activities area.
Editing or Deleting an Activity
To edit or delete an activity:
- Go to the Activities page.
- Hover your mouse over the activity you'd like to edit or delete. You will see three icons appear on the right side of the activity.
- To edit the activity: click the pencil icon and edit the duration, distance, and/or start time, then click Update.
- To delete the activity click the trash can icon.
Saving an Activity as a Favorite
To save an activity record as a favorite, allowing you to quickly add it in the future:
- Go to the Activities page.
- Hover your mouse over the activity you'd like to mark as a favorite. You will see three icons appear on the right side of the activity.
- To add the activity to your favorites, click the star icon. You will see it appear under Favorites on the bottom-right of the page.
- To remove the activity from your favorites, hover your mouse over the entry and click the trash can icon.