Free product improvements and bug fixes are occasionally made available through firmware updates. For details about each firmware update, see What has changed in the latest tracker update?
Updating your tracker is simple and can be done using a computer with Fitbit Connect installed or with a Fitbit app. For app instructions see:
Updating your Fitbit tracker can take several minutes and is demanding on the battery. During an update we recommend keeping your tracker plugged in to its charging cable.
To update your tracker's firmware from your computer:
- Ensure that your tracker is near your computer and that your wireless sync dongle is plugged in.
- Unless you installed Fitbit Connect for the first time recently, verify that you're using the latest version:
- Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.
If you cannot find the icon, you may need to reinstall Fitbit Connect from http://www.fitbit.com/setup.
- Click Open Main Menu...
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
- Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
- When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account. Fitbit Connect will sync your tracker and then look for a firmware update. If an update is found, Fitbit Connect will display a progress bar until the update finishes. If your tracker has a screen, you'll also see a progress bar there.
- Keep your tracker close to the computer during the update, which may take several minutes. When the update is done you'll see a confirmation message and your tracker will restart. You're all set.
Do not attempt to remove (unpair) your tracker from your account as a troubleshooting measure during a slow update. If you've done this, you must contact Customer Support.
Occasionally a firmware update will fail. If this happens, restart your tracker using the instructions in How do I restart my tracker? and try the update again. If the update is unsuccessful a second time, try using the Fitbit app on a mobile device instead. If you don't have access to a mobile device where you can install the free Fitbit apps for iOS, Android, or Windows 8.1, contact Customer Support for assistance with the firmware update.