Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. By default, we calculate your stride length using your height and gender. If you have Fitbit Blaze, Fitbit Charge 2, Fitbit Ionic, or Fitbit Versa and track one or more runs using GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.
If your distance measurement seems inaccurate, follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add it to your Fitbit account.
How do I calculate my stride length?
To measure your walking stride length:
- Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
- Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
- Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.
Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.
How do I change my stride length?
To change your stride length:
- From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon ().
- Tap or click Advanced Settings.
- Tap or click Stride Length.
- Adjust your stride length.
- Log into your fitbit.com dashboard and click the gear icon.
- Choose Settings > Personal Info.
- Under Advanced Settings, find Stride Length.
- Click Set on Your Own and adjust your stride length.
- Click Submit and sync your device.