Food scanning is available with the Fitbit app for iOS, Android, and Windows 10. Choose a shortcut below to view an answer.
How do I scan a food item?
To scan a food item, complete these steps:
- From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the + icon.
- If you're using Android Marshmallow, make sure you grant the Fitbit app access to the requested features of your mobile device. For more information, see Why do I receive access requests from the Fitbit app on my Android mobile device?
- Tap Scan Barcode.
- Ensure that your item's entire barcode is within the scanning area. If your item is in our database you'll see a summary.
- Change any quantities, if necessary, and don't forget to save.
Why won't my item scan?
If you're using the US food database, try making sure that the item's entire barcode is within the scanning area. If an item still won't scan, tap the X to exit the scanner and search for the food. If the food item does not appear within the search results, create a custom food by tapping Custom > Add Custom Food.
Note that at this time, barcode scanning is only available for customers using the US food database. If you have chosen a non-US food database, you'll see the barcode scanning option but it won't work. To check which food database you're using, complete these steps:
- From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon ().
- Tap Advanced Settings.
- Tap Food Database.
Can I add a barcode to the food database?
If you scan an item that isn't in our food database, you'll see the option to submit it as an addition.