To restart or reboot your tracker by turning it off and on without deleting any data, follow the instructions in How do I restart my Fitbit device? Restarting is an effective troubleshoot for many scenarios.
The steps below provide a more complicated troubleshoot known as a "factory reset." Only follow these steps if a Fitbit Customer Support agent asks you to do so or you're following the firmware update troubleshooting steps for a Charge HR. You might be asked to do a factory reset if:
- You have a Fitbit Charge HR and you've tried all the steps in Why can't I update my Fitbit device?
- Your Windows 10 device and the Fitbit app for Windows 10 can't detect your Charge or Charge HR with Bluetooth.
- You're using an Android phone and having difficulty with notifications or syncing.
- You're using the Fitbit app for Android on a device running an older operating system (4.3 or earlier) and the tracker was previously bonded to another mobile device.
A factory reset deletes any stored data, which includes all data that hasn't synced to your Fitbit account and your alarms, goals, and notifications. After a factory reset you must set up your tracker again.
To factory reset your tracker:
- Attach the charging cable to your tracker and plug the other end into a USB port.
- Press and hold the button for approximately two seconds and without letting go of the button:
- Remove the charging cable from your tracker.
- Wait about seven to nine more seconds after removing the charging cable.
- Let go of the button and hold it down again.
- After "ALT" and a white screen flash, let go of the button and hold it down again.
- After you feel a vibration, let go of the button and hold it down again.
- After you see "ERROR," let go of the button and hold it down again.
- After you see "ERASE," let go of the button. The tracker will turn off.
- To turn your tracker back on, press the button or attach the charging cable (make sure to plug in the other end of the cable). If the time on your tracker reads 0:00, the reset was successful.
- Next you'll tell your Fitbit account that you're setting up a new device.
- If you use the Fitbit app, tap or click the Account icon () and choose Set Up a Device. Follow the instructions to replace your device.
- For fitbit.com instructions see How do I set up my Fitbit device?