Track your workouts and activities with your Fitbit device.
How do I track workouts with the Exercise app on my Fitbit device?
On certain Fitbit devices, track specific exercises—such as a run, bike ride, swim, or yoga session—with the Exercise app to see real-time stats, capture GPS data, and review a post-workout summary on your wrist.
For more information, including how to customize the exercise types on your device, see How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?
How do I automatically track activity with my Fitbit device?
Most Fitbit devices automatically recognize and record high-movement activities—such as a walk, run, or swim—at least 15 minutes long through the SmartTrack feature. See basic stats about your activity in Fitbit Today on certain Fitbit devices, or sync your device and review your exercise history in the Fitbit app.
Choose which activities your device tracks automatically from the list of options, or change the amount of time required for the activity to be recorded.
To adjust your exercise recognition settings:
- Tap the Today tab , then tap the Exercise tile .
- Tap the gear icon in the top right.
- Tap an exercise, and adjust the duration or turn off Auto-recognize.
- From the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon > your device name.
- Under Auto-Exercise Recognition, for each exercise adjust the duration or select Ignored to turn off automatic exercise recognition.
Note that you can change how your activity is labeled in your exercise history. For example, your device might detect a walk, but you can edit your exercise history to record a hike. For more information, see How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?
How do I manually log exercises in the Fitbit app?
For instructions, see How do I add, edit, or delete Fitbit data and activities?
What are exercise goals in the Fitbit app?
The American Heart Association recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week (source
). Set an exercise goal in the Fitbit app for the number of days you want to exercise each week. To start, your goal is 5 days per week. Any exercise recorded in your exercise history counts toward your goal.
How do I edit my exercise goal in the Fitbit app?
For instructions, see How do I track my health and fitness goals with the Fitbit app?
Note the following:
- You can change your goal to a different number of days, but you must have a minimum goal of 1 day.
- You can change your goal for current and future weeks, but you can’t adjust it for past weeks.
How do I see my exercise goal progress?
- Tap the Today tab , then tap the exercise tile .
- At the top, check your goal progress for the current week, or swipe to view exercise trends.
- Tap an exercise to see more details about it.
- Swipe up from the clock face to see Fitbit Today.
- Find the exercise tile. You may have to swipe up to find it. If you don’t see the exercise tile, tap Settings at the bottom of Fitbit Today and make sure the exercise tile is turned on.
- Swipe left on the exercise tile to see your goal progress and summaries of your recent workouts.
Can my Fitbit device create a GPS map of my workout?
Certain Fitbit devices have built-in GPS or use the GPS sensors in your phone (connected GPS) to capture the route, distance, and pace for your workout. If your Fitbit device doesn’t have GPS, you can record GPS data using the Fitbit app on your phone.
For more information, see How do I use GPS on my Fitbit device?
How do I earn active minutes with my Fitbit device?
Your Fitbit device recognizes and awards active minutes when the activity you're doing is more strenuous than walking, which includes everything from a brisk walk to a cardio workout or a run. For more information, see What are active minutes?
How do I work out with Fitbit Coach?
Fitbit Coach provides personalized video workouts on your phone or computer. For more information, see About Fitbit Coach.
On Fitbit Ionic and certain versions of Fitbit Versa, a few guided workouts are available directly on your device in the Coach app. When you finish the workout, results are saved to your exercise history. For more information, see How do I use the Coach app on my Fitbit watch?
How do I work out at the gym with my Fitbit device?
Learn how to get the most out of your Fitbit device at the gym with How do I work out at the gym with my Fitbit device?