How do I update my Fitbit device?
Fitbit occasionally releases free feature enhancements and bug fixes for your device through firmware updates. For details, see What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update?
For troubleshooting instructions, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?
Note: We release updates to all customers in phases. If an update is available but you don’t see it, check the app again later.
Before you begin the firmware update, charge your device and confirm you have the latest version of the Fitbit app installed on your phone or tablet. Note the following:
- If you update your device at midnight (when your step count resets) you may see an inaccurate step count for 24 hours.
- Updates may take up to an hour or more to complete.
- Let the Fitbit app run in the background on your phone, which allows a small portion of the firmware update to download to your Fitbit device each time your device syncs
To update your device:
- With your charged Fitbit device nearby, open the Fitbit app.
- Tap the Today tab Devices your device image.
- Tap the pink Update button. This option only appears if an update is available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and keep the device close to your phone, tablet, or computer during the update. After you start the update, a progress bar appears on your device and in the Fitbit app until the update is complete.
If you have trouble updating your device, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?
To update the Fitbit app on your watch:
- Press the crown, swipe up to the Play Store app , and tap the app to open it.
- Swipe up and tap Manage apps Update all.
For more information, see Troubleshooting tips for Google Pixel Watch.
Your Fitbit scale automatically checks for updates. When an update is available, the scale downloads and installs the update. If you step on your scale and see a progress bar, the scale is currently checking for updates. Wait until it's done to complete a weigh-in.
In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab Devices your device image. The firmware version number appears under your device's name.
On the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon and select your device to find the firmware version.
On certain Fitbit devices, find the firmware version in the Settings app About or Device Info.
|Critical||The security update patches a vulnerability that, if exploited, could allow attacker-supplied code to gain unrestricted access and potentially go undetected by the customer.
We recommend that you apply a critical update immediately.
|Important||The security update patches a vulnerability that, if exploited, could compromise data security, potentially allowing access to confidential or sensitive data but stopping short of full code execution.
We recommend that you apply an important update immediately.
|Moderate||The security update patches a vulnerability that carries less risk than important or critical updates, or one that is significantly mitigated by configuration, warnings, or other factors.|
|Low||The security update patches a vulnerability that carries minimal risk or one that is comprehensively mitigated by existing measures, is extremely improbable, or is difficult to exploit.|
Was this information helpful?