Certain Fitbit devices can capture GPS data including route, distance, and pace in your exercise history.
If your device isn’t compatible with GPS, you can use the Fitbit app to capture GPS data during your workouts (known as MobileRun). For more information, see How do I use the Fitbit app to capture GPS data?
Does my Fitbit device have GPS?
Several Fitbit devices offer GPS functionality.
In the Exercise app on your device, choose an exercise to see if includes GPS. For more information about tracking exercise, see How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?
What is connected GPS on my Fitbit device?
Several Fitbit devices work with the sensors on your nearby phone to capture GPS data. This feature is known as connected GPS. You can also use connected GPS to improve your stride length calculation. For more information, see How do I measure and adjust stride length for my Fitbit device?
How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS?
- Confirm your phone can track your location when you're out of Wi-Fi range:
- On your phone, open Settings and tap Cellular.
- Make sure Cellular Data is turned on.
- Make sure that GPS can continue tracking your location when your phone is locked:
- On your phone, open Settings and tap General.
- Tap Background App Refresh, find the Fitbit app, and make sure it's turned on.
- Make sure your phone can identify your location:
- On your phone, open Settings and tap Privacy.
- Tap Location Services and make sure it’s turned on.
- Find Fitbit in the app list and make sure it's set to Always.
- If the Fitbit app doesn’t appear in the Location Services app list:
- From your Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Exercise tile.
- Tap the stopwatch icon () in the top-right corner.
- Tap Track.
- When asked for access to your location, tap Allow.
- Return to step 3 to make sure your phone can identify your location.
The verification steps for these platforms vary depending on the specific phone. If you're unsure how to verify any settings, consult the instructions provided by your device manufacturer.
- Confirm your phone can track your activity when you're out of Wi-Fi range. Make sure an option that allows Cellular Data use is turned on.
- Make sure GPS can continue to track your location while your phone is locked.
- Make sure your phone can identify your location. Turn on Location Services in your privacy settings.
Can I see a larger GPS map?
After you complete a GPS activity and sync your device, the activity is saved to your exercise history in the Fitbit app. To see more details, like elevation during your run, log in to your account on fitbit.com. On the dashboard, click Log > Activities
and expand any workout to see more details.