How do I listen to music and podcasts on my Fitbit watch?
With the Music app on your Fitbit Ionic or Fitbit Versa series*, you can store and play several hours worth of your favorite songs and podcasts right on your wrist. After you download playlists to your watch, connect Bluetooth headphones or another audio device to listen to your tracks.
*This feature isn't available on Fitbit Versa Lite Edition
To download playlists to your watch, you need a computer with a Wi-Fi connection and the free Fitbit Connect app.
See How do I download playlists to my Fitbit watch?
below for details on how to install the apps and download playlists
Keep in mind you can only transfer files that you own or don’t require a license.
For information on how to use the Deezer app to download playlists to your watch, see How do I listen to Deezer playlists on my Fitbit watch?
If you live in the United States, you can also use the Pandora app to download stations to your watch. For more information, see How do I listen to Pandora stations on my Fitbit watch?
The music and podcast file types you can download to your watch depend on whether you use a PC or a Mac. Note that some older songs may not transfer due to copyright protections (known as DRM encryption).
- MP3 files
- MP4 files with AAC audio
- WMA files
- MP3 files
- MP4 files with AAC audio
You can transfer music you purchased. Currently, you can’t transfer songs you downloaded through paid streaming services such as Apple Music and Microsoft Groove. If you have a paid Deezer subscription, you can use the Deezer app to download playlists to your watch. For more information, see How do I listen to Deezer playlists on my Fitbit watch? If you live in the United States, you can also use the Pandora app to download stations for offline listening. For more information, see How do I listen to Pandora stations on my Fitbit watch?
Store over 300 songs and podcasts on your watch depending on the file sizes. For example, a 60-minute podcast takes up more storage space than a 3-minute song.
To download music and podcasts to your watch, create at least 1 playlist of songs or podcasts in iTunes or Windows Media Player to download to your watch.
If you use iTunes, make sure you approve the app to share playlists with your watch:
Open iTunes on your computer > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML with other applications > OK.
To transfer the music to your watch, choose your device.
To listen to music and podcasts:
- After you download at least 1 playlist, connect a Bluetooth audio device, such as Fitbit Flyer headphones or a Bluetooth speaker, to your watch. For more information, see How do I connect Bluetooth audio devices to my Fitbit watch?
- Open the Music app on your watch and tap a playlist. If you downloaded multiple playlists, you may need to scroll down to choose the one you want.
- Tap a track and then tap the play button.
Open the music controls to change tracks or control volume. From any screen, press and hold the back button on your watch and swipe to the Music Controls screen instead of opening the Music app.
Choose to delete individual playlists or all personal music stored on your watch. Use your computer to choose which playlists to delete or use the Fitbit app on your phone to delete all music stored on your watch without needing to connect to Wi-Fi. Note that you can add new playlists and delete existing ones at the same time.
Delete Individual Playlists
- Plug your watch into the charger.
- Open Fitbit Connect on your computer > Manage My Music.
Note that your watch and computer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your watch, open the Music app and then tap Transfer Music. Note that you may need to scroll down to see the transfer button.
- Wait a few moments for your watch to connect. After your watch connects, on your computer screen you’ll see the list of playlists downloaded to your watch.
- Click the checkbox next to the playlist(s) you want to delete. The update will begin immediately.
Delete All Music
- In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab > your profile picture > your device image.
- Tap Media > Personal Music.
- Tap Remove All Personal Music.
If you have trouble downloading your playlists, review the troubleshooting steps in Why can't I download music and podcasts to my Fitbit watch?
You can leave your phone at home. After you download your playlists and connect a Bluetooth audio device to your watch, you can listen to your tracks anywhere.
For more information about the music controls, see How do I control music with my Fitbit device?
Microsoft Groove doesn’t support third-party app access to your playlists. Instead, download playlists from Windows Media Player to your watch.
If you store music outside of the Music folder on your computer, our music service may not find your files. Add your folders to the list of folders the music service searches so it can find your playlists.
To add folders:
- On your computer, open Fitbit Connect and choose Manage My Music.
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner > Advanced Settings.
- Click the + to add the folders where you store your music to the Music folders list and then click Ok.
- Check to see if our music service found your playlists. If not, you may need to add more folders.