How do I respond to messages with my Fitbit device?
Use quick replies to send customized responses to text messages and messages from certain apps with Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Charge 4, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Sense, or Fitbit Versa series. This feature is currently available on devices paired to an Android phone. Devices paired to an iPhone or Windows 10 phone can respond to Fitbit app notifications, such as messages, cheers, taunts, and friend requests.
Quick replies are automatically turned on for any supported apps that send notifications from your phone to your Fitbit device. For more information, see How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device?
To receive and respond to messages from your device, your phone must be nearby with Bluetooth turned on and the Fitbit app running in the background. To use the microphone in Sense, Versa 2, or Versa 3 to respond to messages, in the Settings app , make sure the Microphone setting is turned on.
When you receive a notification from your phone, your device vibrates. To respond with a quick reply:
- Tap the notification on your watch. To see recent messages, swipe down from the screen.
- Choose how to reply to the message:
- Tap the microphone icon to respond to the message using voice-to-text. To change the language recognized by the microphone, tap Language. After you speak your reply, tap Send, or tap Retry to try again. If you notice a mistake after you send the message, tap Undo within 3 seconds to cancel the message.
- Tap the text icon to respond to a message from a list of quick replies.
- Tap the emoji icon to respond to the message with an emoji.
- Tap the notification on your device. To see recent notifications, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap Reply or Replies. If you don’t see an option to reply to the message, quick replies aren’t available for the app that sent the notification.
- Choose a text reply from the list of quick replies or tap the emoji icon to choose an emoji. Tap More replies or More emojis to see additional options.
- On Versa 2, tap the microphone icon and say your message. If the message is correct, tap Send, or tap Retry to try again. If you notice a mistake after you send the message, tap Undo within 3 seconds to cancel the message.
- To change the language recognized by the microphone, tap the 3 dots icon next to Languages and select a different language.
Each app has a list of 5 default text quick replies. To change the quick replies:
- In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab , and tap your profile picture.
- Tap your device image > Notifications > Quick Replies.
- Tap the app you want to change the quick replies for. To change the default quick replies for all apps, tap Default Replies.
- Tap the reply you want to change and enter the text you want to use instead. Replies are limited to 60 characters.
- Tap the back arrow to return to the list of apps and automatically save your changes.
- Sync your device. The next time you receive a message notification from that app, your new reply is included in the list of quick replies on your device.
Apps that allow you to reply to a message directly from the notification on your Android phone also support quick replies on your Fitbit device. This includes, but isn’t limited to, apps such as:
- Text messages
- Facebook Messenger
Note that devices paired to an iPhone or Windows 10 phone can only respond to Fitbit app notifications.