Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. By default, stride length is determined using your height and gender.
If you feel that your distance measurement isn't being accurately tracked, you may want to adjust your stride length. Follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add that information to your Fitbit account.
Calculating your stride length
- Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
- Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
- Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.
Your running stride can be calculated the same way, only by running a known distance rather than walking.
Changing the default stride length on your Fitbit account
To adjust your default stride length in Fitbit, complete these steps:
- Log into your fitbit.com dashboard and click the gear icon in the top right.
- Click Settings.
- Update the Stride Length and Running Stride Length fields. If these are blank, your account estimates the values based on your height and gender (though you'll only see zeros in the fields).
- Don't forget to click Save. The next time you sync your tracker, the changes will take effect.