Getting started with your Fitbit tracker requires connecting it to your computer or compatible mobile device so you can view your data, log food, and much more. This article explains how to set up your tracker using a non-Windows 10 PC or an Apple Macintosh computer. If your computer runs Windows 10, see How do I set up my tracker using the Fitbit app for Windows 10?.
You'll first install Fitbit Connect, which is a free software application that resides on your computer and connects (“pairs”) your tracker to your Fitbit.com dashboard. Once installed, Fitbit Connect will guide you through setting up your account, charging your tracker (if applicable), and putting your tracker on. If you've already set up one tracker and want to add another to your account, make sure you've read Can I use more than one Fitbit tracker with the same account?
You only need to complete the following steps once. After your tracker is set up, you can simply log in to http://www.fitbit.com to access your web dashboard. If you encounter difficulty with the steps below, see I'm having trouble setting up my tracker.
To set up your Fitbit tracker:
- Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup. Scroll down and click the pink button. It should reflect the type of computer you're using as shown below. You can change the type if necessary.
- Depending on your computer:
- If you have a PC, an .exe file will download. When the download is complete, click Run when prompted and follow the instructions. If you can't find the .exe file, search for "Fitbit Connect" in the Start menu.
- If you have a Mac, you'll be prompted to open or save a .dmg file. Save the file, then open it and follow the onscreen instructions. If you can't find the .dmg file, search for "Fitbit Connect" in Spotlight.
- Select Set Up A New Fitbit Device when you're presented with the Fitbit Connect main menu.
- Choose whether you're new to Fitbit or you already have a Fitbit account.
- You will be asked for a few details about yourself. This information improves the accuracy of your caloric burn and distance data. If you want to share your data with Fitbit friends later, you can adjust your privacy settings.
- When prompted, select the tracker you're setting up.
- Plug the wireless USB sync dongle into your computer and bring your tracker near to it to begin the connecting ("pairing") process.
- Follow the onscreen instructions. If you have a Flex, rapidly tap the device when instructed and then confirm that you felt the vibration. For all other trackers, a four-digit number appears when Fitbit Connect identifies the tracker. Enter this number on the screen when prompted.
- Click Next and your tracker will connect to your Fitbit.com account. This can take up to a minute.
- Once your tracker has connected to Fitbit.com, you may be prompted to enter a greeting (depending on which tracker you have). This can be your name or any 8-character combination of letters or numbers.
When your tracker is linked with your Fitbit account, you'll see a notification and some basic instructions on using your tracker. You're ready to start moving!