Using the Fitbit app for Android to compete and keep up with friends is a great way to motivate yourself. If you accept a friend request or someone accepts yours, that person appears on your friends leaderboard where you can compare step totals and send cheers, taunts, and messages.
Finding and adding friends
To mine your Android address book for potential Fitbit friends, tap the + button in the top-right of the screen. You can send a friend request to anyone who appears:
- Contacts with Fitbit—These contacts are already Fitbit.com users. The app creates this list by matching up your Android contact list with the Fitbit.com user database.
- Contacts without Fitbit—These contacts do not currently have an account on Fitbit. Your friend request will invite them to join Fitbit.
To find and add your Facebook friends who have Fitbit accounts connected to Facebook:
- Open the Fitbit app for Android.
- Tap on the menu in the upper left corner.
- Tap Friends.
- Tap the add button (a pink + sign).
- Choose the Connect Facebook option. After you give Facebook permission to connect with your Fitbit account, you'll see a list of Facebook friends. If no friends appear, either none of your Facebook friends are Fitbit users or they don't have their Facebook and Fitbit accounts connected. If you later decide that you want to revoke Facebook's access to your Fitbit account, log into your Fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon in the upper right, and go to Settings > Sharing.
Responding to friend requests
Friend requests are visible on the Add Friends screen. To see requests so you can accept or ignore them:
- Tap the menu at the top of the app.
- Tap Friends .
- Tap the + button.
- Tap Requests. Tap the check to accept a request and tap the X to ignore the request.
You can add up to 2,000 friends.
Viewing the leaderboard
To view the leaderboard, simply tap the menu at the top of the app and tap Friends. This screen shows your rankings based on a 7-day step total.
Note that the 7-day step total is only taken from synced data. If you or a friend haven't synced your trackers, this total will not be accurate.