Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. By default, stride length is determined using your height and gender. If you feel that your distance measurement isn't being accurately tracked, you may want to adjust your stride length:
- Go to a track or somewhere that you know the exact distance of.
- Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
- Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.
To adjust your stride length on your Dashboard, please do the following:
- Log into your Fitbit.com Dashboard.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your Dashboard and select "Settings."
- You will see a field for Stride Length and Running Stride Length. From here, you can manually enter your personal stride length. If you leave these blank, your profile will estimate these values based on your height and gender.
- Click the "Update Profile" button to save your changes. Note that a sync will be required to update your tracker with your new stride measurements.