Wear Charge 5
Wear Charge 5 around your wrist. If you need to attach a different size band, or if you purchased another band, see the instructions in Change the band.
Placement for all-day wear vs. exercise
When you're not exercising, wear Charge 5 a finger's width above your wrist bone.
In general, it's always important to give your wrist a break on a regular basis by removing your tracker for around an hour after extended wear. We recommend removing your tracker while you shower. Although you can shower while wearing your tracker, not doing so reduces the potential for exposure to soaps, shampoos, and conditioners, which can cause long-term damage to your tracker and may cause skin irritation.
For optimized heart-rate tracking while exercising:
- During a workout, experiment with wearing your tracker a bit higher on your wrist for an improved fit. Many exercises, such as bike riding or weight lifting, cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which could interfere with the heart-rate signal if the tracker is lower on your wrist.
- Wear your tracker on top of your wrist, and make sure the back of the device is in contact with your skin.
- Consider tightening your band before a workout and loosening it when you’re done. The band should be snug but not constricting (a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart-rate signal).
Note: If you have trouble connecting to GPS on Charge 5, see the related help article.
Fasten the band
- Place Charge 5 around your wrist.
- Slide the bottom band through the first loop in the top band.
- Tighten the band until it fits comfortably, and press the peg through one of the holes in the band.
- Slide the loose end of the band through the second loop until it lies flat on your wrist. Make sure the band isn’t too tight. Wear the band loosely enough that it can move back and forth on your wrist.
For greater accuracy, you must specify whether you wear Charge 5 on your dominant or non-dominant hand. Your dominant hand is the one you use for writing and eating. To start, the Wrist setting is set to non-dominant. If you wear Charge 5 on your dominant hand, change the Wrist setting in the Fitbit app:
From the Today tab in the Fitbit app, tap your profile picture Charge 5 tile Wrist Dominant.
Wear and care tips
- Clean your band and wrist regularly with a soap-free cleanser.
- If your tracker gets wet, remove and dry it completely after your activity.
- Take your tracker off from time to time.
For more information, visit the Fitbit Wear & Care page.
Change the band
Charge 5 comes with a small band attached and an additional large, bottom band in the box. Both the top and bottom bands can be swapped with accessory bands, sold separately on fitbit.com. For band measurements, see Band size.
Remove a band
- Turn over Charge 5 and find the band latches.
- To release the latch, use your fingernail to press the flat button toward the band.
- Gently pull the band away from the tracker to release it.
- Repeat on the other side.
Attach a band
To attach a band, press it into the end of the tracker until you hear a click and it snaps into place. The band with the loops and peg attaches to the top of the tracker.